Monday, August 15, 2011

The Cleaner Plate Club

This is another book I borrowed from the library.  As I was looking for some other books, I came upon this and it looked healthy and interesting.  And, I was totally correct.  This cookbook not only has recipes, but it gives a lot of great information.

This is not a vegetarian cookbook, but the emphasis is to get more vegetables into our children.  It gives the background of the vegetable and pictures of all different varieties of that vegetable in color.  It tells you how to select and store them, the nutritional goodness, then, some recipes that are typically easy to make. 

In a different section, it does things like Soups, Desserts, etc. which combine a variety of vegetables, fruit, and meat/poultry/fish.  It's really informative, which I absolutely love.  The layout of the book is great.  It gives you healthier alternatives to the traditional stuff - for example, sweeteners are resigned to white sugar, rather you can use maple, honey, stevia, agave nectar, etc.  And, the alternatives they give are natural, not yucky synthetic.

All the recipes look to be kid-friendly.  If you have kids, you know how things like peer pressure or changing taste buds can wreak havoc on a family's meal times.  They also give suggestions for packing school lunches that are healthy.  I think at some point in the future, I will purchase this book when I can find it for under $5 with shipping. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment